Re: [exim-dev] delivery event for retry timeout

Author: Jasen Betts
To: exim-dev
Subject: Re: [exim-dev] delivery event for retry timeout
On 2018-02-20, Jeremy Harris via Exim-dev <exim-dev@???> wrote:
> On 20/02/18 04:28, Jasen Betts via Exim-dev wrote:
>> I wanted a per-recipient delivery event for "retry timeout exceeded"
>> so in retry.c I added the following to retry_update()
>> between "log_write" and "if (addr == endaddr) break;"
>>
>> msg_event_raise(US"msg:rcpt:retry:timeout",addr);
>>
>> (line 901 in the current github master)
>>
>> Is this enhancement accetpable to the exim maintainers?
>
> Having one is fine. They're simple to add once you've
> found the right place in the code.

Yeah! I thought perhaps I'd need to mess around initialising
variables for use in expansions, but after adding that one line
everything just worked :)

>> Have I chosen a suitable event name?
>
> Why not just "msg:rcpt:timeout" ? What distinction were
> you implying?

That suggests to me a TCP or SMTP timeout which will normally
be retried. retry timeout exceeded is permanent. maybe
"msg:rcpt:expired" is better?

Do you want me to write up a patch and submit it to the bug tracker.

I guess I should because that way I can include updates to the
documentation.