[exim-dev] OS/Makefile-Base - why a double colon rule

Author: Andreas Metzler
To: exim-dev
Subject: [exim-dev] OS/Makefile-Base - why a double colon rule
Hello,

I was wondering why I never so an exim build with EXIM_COMPILE_NUMBER 1
and ended up with looking at OS/Makefile-Base which contains this rule:

# Update Exim's version information and build the version object.

version.h version.sh::
    @../scripts/reversion

Can anybody imagine why this is double-colon rule, i.e.
version.h version.sh::
instead of
version.h version.sh:

The double-colon enforces that scripts/reversion is run twice, which is
why we end up with EXIM_COMPILE_NUMBER of at least 2.

cu Andreas
so grateful to you.'