Re: [exim] Code contribution process

Author: Phil Pennock
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Code contribution process
On 2017-08-26 at 10:19 -0700, Ian Zimmerman wrote:
> What is the way to contribute code patches to exim? I see some pull
> requests on github but they haven't been acted on for a while. I
> haven't checked git.exim.org but I assume it is read only :)

Mail to exim-dev@??? or use https://bugs.exim.org/

If you were to read the readme visible when you go to
<https://github.com/Exim/exim> you'd see this and a few other notes of
interest. :)

Pragmatically, some people will just not read and will submit PRs on
GitHub no matter what we say. We can (and have) disabled Issues, but
GitHub doesn't let us disable PRs there (although we could reject them
all via a reject-everything CI hook I guess). So every now and again,
someone might happen to look through the GitHub PRs and try to clean
them out. Very much ad-hoc.

Personally (not committing anyone else to this) I go on the theory that
it's better to take the contributions where they happen and work around
the issues that creates than to demand contributors jump through hoops
to do things _only_ the way we want, but still reward those who do use
the proper tools by dealing with those first, always.

But I do rather little Exim work these days. So my opinion should be
taken with a heavier discount.

-Phil