Re: [exim] Recovering DKIM signature from read email

Author: Patrick von der Hagen
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Recovering DKIM signature from read email
That's a very abstract definition of sender and recipient. Issues
regarding mailinglists have been mentioned already, but there are more
components which might damage DKIM signatures.

For example, my exchange 2013 usually handles DKIM well, e.g. a signed
message received by my exchange and forwarded to an external address
arrives with a correct DKIM signature. If the message is delivered to an
exchange mailbox and accessed by IMAP, DKIM-verification in Thunderbird
(DKIM Verifier addon) frequently fails, because somewhere in the IMAP
stack some recoding seems to happen, that just isn't triggered during
SMTP-handling.

See
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DomainKeys_Identified_Mail#Content_modification
for example.

So, depending on how the sender sends, how parties in between process
and how the recipient accesses the message, DKIM might work for you.
However, I consider it to be very brittle and "best effort", while you
talk about proof of integrity, verification and receipts (sounds like
accountability?). All said and done, I'd be surprised if DKIM was a good
solution for your requirements.

--
Karlsruher Institut für Technologie (KIT)
Steinbuch Centre for Computing (SCC)

Patrick von der Hagen

Zirkel 2, Gebäude 20.21, Raum 004.2
76131 Karlsruhe
Telefon: +49 721 608-46433
E-Mail: hagen@???
Web: http://www.scc.kit.edu

KIT – Die Forschungsuniversität in der Helmholtz-Gemeinschaft