Re: [pcre-dev] PCRE FTP site missing older versions

Author: ph10
To: Andrew Ho
CC: PCRE Developers, Elizabeth F
Subject: Re: [pcre-dev] PCRE FTP site missing older versions
On Wed, 19 Jul 2017, Andrew Ho wrote:

> > Hello,
> >
> > A PCRE website visitor reported that some automatic distribution package
> > building scripts were erroring because older PCRE versions (8.38 and
> > 8.39) disappeared from the regular FTP site.
> >
> > I usually feel that keeping old versions available is important, especially
> > for versions that were around for a long time and are still widely deployed;
> > was there some specific reason older versions were removed? And are they
> > still available elsewhere on the official FTP server, or should I point
> > people at the SourceForge mirror?

This is my recollection, but my memory isn't what it used to be:

When I started this game, about 20 years ago, the amount of disk space
on the FTP site was limited, so I got into the habit of leaving just the
last couple of releases available. Old habits die hard. I'm not sure
what the current situation is, but I've put back the 8.38 and 8.39
releases and that seems to have worked without complaint.

I do have copies of everything back to 1.00 - I had occasion to look at
it recently, and my, how things have changed!

Philip

--
Philip Hazel