[pcre-dev] PCRE CPE Documentation (forward)

Author: Jason Unovitch
To: pcre-dev
CC: ports-secteam, adamw
Subject: [pcre-dev] PCRE CPE Documentation (forward)
Greetings,
I wasn't sure of the correct home for this message. As part of an
effort to match up associated CPE information with ported software on
FreeBSD we came across conflicting information in the NIST dictionary
for PCRE. PCRE was documented having three distinct products, the
correct 'pcre' and two incorrect products:
'perl-compatible_regular_expression_library'
'perl_compatible_regular_expression_library'

I contacted the NIST for clarification based on the steps on Mitre's CPE
page (https://cpe.mitre.org/dictionary/). Their response clarifying the
correct information follows and I'm forwarding it here as a courtesy.
Additionally, have any PCRE developers asked to have PCRE2 registered in
the CPE dictionary? We've matched up the FreeBSD port of PCRE with the
correct CPE information but PCRE2 isn't listed upstream yet. The
process is listed in the link above.

Thanks!

Jason Unovitch
FreeBSD Ports Security Team