Re: [exim] return_path variable and errors_to

Author: Ian Eiloart
To: Robert Blayzor
CC: Exim Users
Subject: Re: [exim] return_path variable and errors_to

> On 11 Jan 2016, at 12:50, Robert Blayzor <rblayzor.bulk@???> wrote:
>
> When using “errors_to” in a router, does this essentially update $return_path ?
>
> Meaning, if you set errors_to in a router; at the transport $return_path is the value set in errors_to and not he original envelope sender?

The documentation (page 196 of the PDF version, at http://www.exim.org/exim-pdf-current/doc/spec.pdf), implies the answer is YES.

"If an address for which errors_to has been set ends up being delivered over SMTP, the envelope sender for that delivery is the errors_to value, so that any bounces that are generated by other MTAs on the delivery route are also sent there."

It also talks about re-instating the return path by setting return_path, so I suspect it does update return_path (the variable), but not $return_path which is the value of the variable.

--
Ian Eiloart
Postmaster, University of Sussex