Re: [exim] userName@host.biz cannot be resolved at this time…

Author: Andreas Metzler
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] userName@host.biz cannot be resolved at this time: lowest numbered MX record points to local host
Hello,

please keep this discussion on-list.

On 2014-09-09 Dave Myers <david.myers.24j74@???> wrote:
> On 08/09/14 20:11, Andreas Metzler wrote:

[..]
>>    Dave, is the address supposed to be routed by the my_domains router?

> Yes.

That is not working, that is where you should be looking:
| --------> my_domains router <--------
| local_part=david.myers domain=exsportee.biz
| checking domains
| search_open: dsearch "/etc/exim4/virtual"
| [...]
| exsportee.biz in "dsearch;/etc/exim4/virtual"? yes (matched
| "dsearch;/etc/exim4/virtual")

That worked so far, the first router condition has worked, the domain
matched.
| search_open: lsearch "/etc/dovecot/users"
| search_find: file="/etc/dovecot/users"
|    key="david.myers" partial=-1 affix=NULL starflags=0
| LRU list:
|    :/etc/dovecot/users
|    4/etc/exim4/virtual
|    End
| internal_search_find: file="/etc/dovecot/users"
|    type=lsearch key="david.myers"
| file lookup required for david.myers
|    in /etc/dovecot/users
| lookup failed
| david.myers in "passwd;david.myers : lsearch;/etc/dovecot/users"? no
| (end of list)
| my_domains router skipped: local_parts mismatch

However that test fails, the lookup returns the string
"passwd;david.myers" instead of "david.myers".

[...]
> Also you say

>>        exim finds out that it is supposed to handle the handle the address itself
>>        (due to the MX record) and throws a helpful error message.

> I'm not sure how helpful that message is!

It is decribing what is happening. Due to the broken your routing setup
none of the "local" routers handles the message and it is being handled
by a router that searches for the MX and passes the message on there.
Exim realizes the the MX points back to itself and warns you about
that instead of generating a loop.

cu Andreas

so grateful to you.'