[exim] userName@host.biz cannot be resolved at this time: lo…

Author: Dave Myers
To: exim-users
Subject: [exim] userName@host.biz cannot be resolved at this time: lowest numbered MX record points to local host
Dear exim list members.

This is a re-sending of my original message, which I sent last week
(2nd), and is yet to appear on the mailing lists. Please feel free to
delete thism or the original message. Thanks

The mail I am trying to send to is:
david.myers@???

I realise this is a 'common' error message, but I've been
troubleshooting the issue as stated in the subject for nearly 2 weeks,
and can't seem to find a resolution to the problem, even though I have
followed the details on other threads on this list with the same /
similar problems, and on other forums (debian, ubuntu, stackoverflow)
where I have also posted messages that get many views, but no replies!

Please note that using SWAKS from the cli of the server will send out
the messages succesfully. I assume that I have done something wrong in
the config of exim / dovecot, so as to allow dovecot to deliver the mail.
Also note that the hostname will also resolve locally to the
`localhost`, so I'm not surprised in the first instance that the lowest
numbered MX record point to the local host.

Please please help. This is getting to be a very frustrating situation
for me, and is holding back my configuration of the other parts of my
server (I like to get one thing working at a time).

Thanks in advance.

So here is my situation:

Debian (VPS), running exim4 (4.72) and dovecot.

Setup:
Single domain (intention is to have multiple domains), that has multiple
mail addresses for the domain (ie user1@???
user2@??? ... etc etc etc). These users are not system users,
they only exist in terms of mail.

Everything seems to work fine in terms of sending via SWAKS. but I can't
receive mail to my host address (david.myers@???).

If I perform the following
exim4 -d -bt david.myers@???

I've read through the output but don't entirely understand what my
problem is.
In brief.
It seems to be able to find the hostname (exsportee.biz), and my
username (david.myers) ~ after much searching.
I notice an issue with mail.exsportee.biz and imap.exsportee.biz only
having a 'A' record and not an 'AAAA' record.

Toward the end I notice the line
[code]
host_find_bydns yield = HOST_FOUND_LOCAL (3); returned hosts:
imap.exsportee.biz 92.39.247.92 MX=0
[/code]
Which to my mind means that the MX transfer record is zero (how do I
make this lower ?)
The final part of the error message states the same as my subject line,
but as I noted earlier exim seems to be able to find the username and
hostname, so why is it not able to resolve the address (or is this a
local resolution problem ?).
I should probably also note that in my user file used by dovecot
(/etc/dovecot/users) I have the full name ~ david.myers@??? ~
as opposed to just david.myers.
I have done this as I expect to have other 'unrelated' host names and
also have email address with them. I also want names like
'web.admin@???' so as I can keep each site cleanly separated
from the other.

I want to keep them separate in the first instance ~ but may end up
having them 'auto-forward' to a catchall address later on ~ and also I
hope it should enable me to be more vicious with any junkmail filtering
I perform.)

Here below, in full, is the output of exim4 -d -bt
david.myers@???, as performed via an ssh to the server in
question.

____[code]
$ sudo exim4 -d -bt david.myers@???
Exim version 4.72 uid=0 gid=0 pid=9893 D=fbb95cfd
Berkeley DB: Berkeley DB 4.8.30: (April 9, 2010)
Support for: crypteq iconv() IPv6 PAM Perl Expand_dlfunc GnuTLS
move_frozen_messages Content_Scanning DKIM Old_Demime
Lookups: lsearch wildlsearch nwildlsearch iplsearch cdb dbm dbmnz dnsdb
dsearch ldap ldapdn ldapm mysql nis nis0 passwd pgsql sqlite
Authenticators: cram_md5 cyrus_sasl dovecot plaintext spa
Routers: accept dnslookup ipliteral iplookup manualroute queryprogram
redirect
Transports: appendfile/maildir/mailstore/mbx autoreply lmtp pipe smtp
Fixed never_users: 0
Size of off_t: 8
GnuTLS compile-time version: 2.8.6
GnuTLS runtime version: 2.8.6
changed uid/gid: forcing real = effective
uid=0 gid=0 pid=9893
auxiliary group list: <none>
seeking password data for user "uucp": cache not available
getpwnam() succeeded uid=10 gid=10
configuration file is /var/lib/exim4/config.autogenerated
log selectors = 00000ffc 00612001
trusted user
admin user
seeking password data for user "mail": cache not available
getpwnam() succeeded uid=8 gid=8
seeking password data for user "vmail": cache not available
getpwnam() succeeded uid=1002 gid=1002
seeking password data for user "vmail": using cached result
getpwnam() succeeded uid=1002 gid=1002
seeking password data for user "vmail": using cached result
getpwnam() succeeded uid=1002 gid=1002
user name "root" extracted from gecos field "root"
originator: uid=0 gid=0 login=root name=root
sender address = root@???
Address testing: uid=0 gid=106 euid=0 egid=106

Testing david.myers@???

Considering david.myers@???

routing david.myers@???
--------> my_domains router <--------
local_part=david.myers domain=exsportee.biz
checking domains
search_open: dsearch "/etc/exim4/virtual"
search_find: file="/etc/exim4/virtual"
key="exsportee.biz" partial=-1 affix=NULL starflags=0
LRU list:
4/etc/exim4/virtual
End
internal_search_find: file="/etc/exim4/virtual"
type=dsearch key="exsportee.biz"
file lookup required for exsportee.biz
in /etc/exim4/virtual
lookup yielded: exsportee.biz
exsportee.biz in "dsearch;/etc/exim4/virtual"? yes (matched
"dsearch;/etc/exim4/virtual")
checking local_parts
search_open: passwd "NULL"
search_find: file="NULL"
key="david.myers" partial=-1 affix=NULL starflags=0
LRU list:
4/etc/exim4/virtual
End
internal_search_find: file="NULL"
type=passwd key="david.myers"
database lookup required for david.myers
seeking password data for user "david.myers": cache not available
getpwnam() returned NULL (user not found)
lookup failed
search_open: lsearch "/etc/dovecot/users"
search_find: file="/etc/dovecot/users"
key="david.myers" partial=-1 affix=NULL starflags=0
LRU list:
:/etc/dovecot/users
4/etc/exim4/virtual
End
internal_search_find: file="/etc/dovecot/users"
type=lsearch key="david.myers"
file lookup required for david.myers
in /etc/dovecot/users
lookup failed
david.myers in "passwd;david.myers : lsearch;/etc/dovecot/users"? no
(end of list)
my_domains router skipped: local_parts mismatch
--------> hubbed_hosts router <--------
local_part=david.myers domain=exsportee.biz
checking domains
expansion of "${if
exists{/etc/exim4/hubbed_hosts}{partial-lsearch;/etc/exim4/hubbed_hosts}fail}"
forced failure: assume not in this list
hubbed_hosts router skipped: domains mismatch
--------> dnslookup_relay_to_domains router <--------
local_part=david.myers domain=exsportee.biz
checking domains
exsportee.biz in "@:localhost:dsearch:/etc/exim4/virtual"? no (end of list)
search_open: dsearch "/etc/exim4/virtual"
cached open
search_find: file="/etc/exim4/virtual"
key="exsportee.biz" partial=-1 affix=NULL starflags=0
LRU list:
4/etc/exim4/virtual
:/etc/dovecot/users
End
internal_search_find: file="/etc/exim4/virtual"
type=dsearch key="exsportee.biz"
cached data used for lookup of exsportee.biz
in /etc/exim4/virtual
lookup yielded: exsportee.biz
exsportee.biz in "empty : dsearch;/etc/exim4/virtual"? yes (matched
"dsearch;/etc/exim4/virtual")
data from lookup saved for cache for +relay_to_domains: exsportee.biz
exsportee.biz in "! +local_domains : +relay_to_domains"? yes (matched
"+relay_to_domains")
R: dnslookup_relay_to_domains for david.myers@???
calling dnslookup_relay_to_domains router
dnslookup_relay_to_domains router called for david.myers@???
domain = exsportee.biz
DNS lookup of exsportee.biz (MX) succeeded
DNS lookup of imap.exsportee.biz (AAAA) gave NO_DATA
returning DNS_NODATA
DNS lookup of imap.exsportee.biz (A) succeeded
DNS lookup of mail.exsportee.biz (AAAA) gave NO_DATA
returning DNS_NODATA
DNS lookup of mail.exsportee.biz (A) succeeded
duplicate IP address 92.39.247.92 (MX=30) removed
local host has lowest MX
fully qualified name = exsportee.biz
host_find_bydns yield = HOST_FOUND_LOCAL (3); returned hosts:
imap.exsportee.biz 92.39.247.92 MX=0
LOG: MAIN
lowest numbered MX record points to local host: exsportee.biz (while
routing <david.myers@???>)
dnslookup_relay_to_domains router: defer for david.myers@???
message: lowest numbered MX record points to local host
david.myers@??? cannot be resolved at this time: lowest
numbered MX record points to local host
search_tidyup called

[/code]____

For reference here are links to the posts on
Stackoverflow:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/25563411/debian-exim4-dovecot-can-only-send-from-swaks

UbuntuForums: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2241610

Any help / solutions that you put in here I will ensure that they get
copied into these links, as solutions / comments.

Thanks in advance.

--
Tel:
+ 33 6 50 14 39 34