Re: [exim] Cannot send to own domain (which is served by Goo…

Author: W B Hacker
To: exim users
Subject: Re: [exim] Cannot send to own domain (which is served by Google apps)
Ed wrote:
> I have installed exim on a Centos linode, its purpose to is send mail
> reports generated by admin shell scripts.
>
> So, my domain is foo.com however all email for foo.com is handled by
> Google Apps. When I try to send email to me@??? it stays in the
> queue frozen, I can send email to other gmail accounts so I presume
> the basic configuration is OK but there is something it doesn't like
> about foo.com.
>
> I tried editing exim.conf and changed
>
> domainlist local_domains = @ : localhost : localhost.localdomain
> domainlist local_domains = localhost : localhost.localdomain
>
> restarted exim and nothing changed. Do I need to restart something else? Reboot?
>
> Ed

If you haven't told it otherwise, Exim will grab 'hostname' off the box
it sits on.

You may have told the box - or Exim directly - that it IS 'foo.com',
causing it to attempt to make a 'local' delivery into mailstore rather
than a remote one over an smtp session.

One it may not be able to complete if there IS NO appropriate mailstore
set up for that identity. Hence the stuck-in-queue situation.

If for sending cron reports only, AND NOT 'listening' anyway, that is
not what it needs to know.

You can get around all that by disabling local delivery altogether, ELSE
giving it over-riding instructions in the MAIN configuration or right in
the router as to whom is entitled to be handled locally, and/or whom not.

An 'alias' entry pointed to an address unrelated to your own domain.tld
is usually much simpler when working into a third-party destination,
such as Gmail. Any valid remote address will do.

A simple MUA filter can then sort the reports into a bespoke folder by
report type as well as domain.tld. Another can archive or delete all
over a certain age. Absent that one can get.. hang on... about 2 GB a
year of stale bytes per server eating up storage.

Bill
--
韓家標