Re: [exim] Mixed mail deliver, or retrying 550 errors.

Author: Robin Lee Powell
To: Jeremy Harris
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Mixed mail deliver, or retrying 550 errors.
On Mon, Jun 04, 2012 at 12:11:17PM +0100, Jeremy Harris wrote:
> On 2012-06-03 20:22, Robin Lee Powell wrote:
> >
> >So I have a small mail server that delivers a random collection of
> >email from a random collection of domains; lots of different stuff.
> >kli.org has a few mailing lists, lojban.org has a few mailing lists,
> >various automated stuff, half a dozen users with personal mail
> >accounts, etc.
> >
> >All being processed out of a server in my basement, on a ComCast
> >Business Class line.
>
> Check your rDNS. People don't like "generic"-looking ones
> because it indicates a lack of care on the part of the owner
> and tends to be associated with spammy behaviour.

The host I send from:

rlpowell@stodi> host mail.digitalkingdom.org
mail.digitalkingdom.org is an alias for dk-mail.digitalkingdom.org.
dk-mail.digitalkingdom.org is an alias for stodi.digitalkingdom.org.
stodi.digitalkingdom.org has address 173.13.139.236
rlpowell@stodi> host 173.13.139.236
236.139.13.173.in-addr.arpa domain name pointer mail.digitalkingdom.org.

People have noted that digitalkingdom.org, which is what's after the
@ in my personal emails at least, *does* come back generic; I don't
know how much that matters?

Regardless, I'd like to defer the job of managing email with the
more strict ISPs to someone eles, if that's possible; it just keeps
being more and more work.

-Robin

--
http://singinst.org/ : Our last, best hope for a fantastic future.
.i ko na cpedu lo nu stidi vau loi jbopre .i danfu lu na go'i li'u .e