[exim] Mixed mail deliver, or retrying 550 errors.

Author: Robin Lee Powell
To: exim-users
Subject: [exim] Mixed mail deliver, or retrying 550 errors.

So I have a small mail server that delivers a random collection of
email from a random collection of domains; lots of different stuff.
kli.org has a few mailing lists, lojban.org has a few mailing lists,
various automated stuff, half a dozen users with personal mail
accounts, etc.

All being processed out of a server in my basement, on a ComCast
Business Class line.

Now, you'd think that, it being "business class", that wouldn't be a
problem, but apparently some people are either paying >$100/month to
be spam sources, or they're getting botted or something, because my
mail gets rejected fairly routinely for being in an IP group that
has spammers, and other such BS.

The obvious solution is to send mail through a server run by someone
who has the time to keep on top of ISP relationships and ISP's spam
management procedures and so on, which is something I most
definitely no longer have time for.

Having said that, I'd still like to send my own mail where possible,
so that I can see for sure that it got to the destination server.
Also, good mail relays can be expensive.

So I'm wondering if it's possible to do something like
fallback_hosts *but* have it retry not just temporary errors, but
also permanent/5xx errors?, since in particular hotmail's "your IP
is like dynamic or something" errors are 550s.

-Robin

--
http://singinst.org/ : Our last, best hope for a fantastic future.
.i ko na cpedu lo nu stidi vau loi jbopre .i danfu lu na go'i li'u .e