Re: [exim] combining multiple incoming messages to same loca…

Author: Phil Pennock
To: Don Walker
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] combining multiple incoming messages to same local domain
On 2012-05-30 at 13:42 -0500, Don Walker wrote:
[ same mail, multiple deliveries ]
> Does anyone know a way for exim to combine such messages and process
> them as a single arriving message addressed to multiple groups? Factors
> for combining would include a short time window (ie, the split messages
> arrive within seconds of each other), the same sender, and the same subject.

No, not as Exim stands. Normally this sort of duplicate suppression is
done in the storage system, rather than holding mail in the spool for
longer.

This is known as "single instance store", at the message-level rather
than the attachment level. It will work unless the mail service
provider is also rewriting Subject: headers for each variant mail.

Cyrus IMAP will do this by default; it looks as though Dovecot might
only do this for attachments, as an extension, but I don't really know
Dovecot and could be wrong.

-Phil