Re: [exim] Am I right that no_more has no effect within the …

Author: Phil Pennock
To: Regid Ichira
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Am I right that no_more has no effect within the included simple routers?
On 2012-05-28 at 16:42 -0700, Regid Ichira wrote:
> I think the no_more has significance for dnslookup_relay_to_domains and
> for dnslookup. It has no effect for nonlocal and smarthost.
> One advantage for keeping the no effect no_more in place is not making
> unnecessary changes. One might argue whether keeping that no effect
> directive makes the default configuration more, or less, readable.
> My opinion is that a concise configuration is better.

Explicit conveys information about intent, and acts as a backup for
unexpected problems and changes upstream.

If asked to debug such a problem on the mailing-list, and the last
Routers for some domains did not have no_more on them, my first step
would be to ask the admin to add no_more and see if that resolves the
issue. If it does, I can point to their DNS problems. If it doesn't,
it's probably worth spending more time on it, trying to pick apart their
problem.

It's a bit like coding: if you write the cleverest code you can, relying
upon detailed knowledge of every part of the language, it's much harder
to debug.

-Phil