Re: [exim] Am I right that no_more has no effect within the …

Author: Phil Pennock
To: Regid Ichira, exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Am I right that no_more has no effect within the included simple routers?
On 2012-05-23 at 12:36 -0400, Phil Pennock wrote:
> The dnslookup router will decline if the domain does not exist in DNS,
> or the domain is not syntactically valid for SMTP's defined DNS lookups,
> or the MX record points to ".", which is a convention for "no MX service
> for this domain, and do not fall back to A/AAAA lookups". There's a
> couple of other cases too.

I've added a new section to the documentation for dnslookup; this will
be in the 4.80 release's docs, and on the website when 4.80 goes out.

Regid, thanks for drawing my attention to how this could be better
documented.

----------------------------8< cut here >8------------------------------
17.2 Declining addresses by dnslookup
-------------------------------------

There are a few cases where a dnslookup router will decline to accept an
address; if such a router is expected to handle "all remaining non-local
domains", then it is important to set no_more.

Reasons for a dnslookup router to decline currently include:

* The domain does not exist in DNS

  * The domain exists but the MX record's host part is just "."; this is a
    common convention (borrowed from SRV) used to indicate that there is no
    such service for this domain and to not fall back to trying A/AAAA records.

* Ditto, but for SRV records, when check_srv is set on this router.

* MX record points to a non-existent host.

  * MX record points to an IP address and the main section option
    allow_mx_to_ip is not set.

  * MX records exist and point to valid hosts, but all hosts resolve only to
    addresses blocked by the ignore_target_hosts generic option on this router.

  * The domain is not syntactically valid (see also allow_utf8_domains and
    dns_check_names_pattern for handling one variant of this)

  * check_secondary_mx is set on this router but the local host can not be
    found in the MX records (see below)

Regards,
-Phil