Re: [exim-dev] GnuTLS status

Startseite
Nachricht löschen
Nachricht beantworten
Autor: Dr Andrew C Aitchison
To: exim-dev
Betreff: Re: [exim-dev] GnuTLS status
On Wed, 16 May 2012, Phil Pennock wrote:

> So, the current stable release of GnuTLS is 3.0.x; they only distribute
> with .xz or .lz compression extensions, which might explain why the OS
> packagers seem to still be on GnuTLS 2.
>
> The current 2 branch is GnuTLS 2.12.x.
>
> The old 2 branch is GnuTLS 2.10.x.
>
> GnuTLS 2.8.x is ancient.

         ...            ...

> So we have a choice: continue to support ancient GnuTLS and get warnings
> and later errors on more current GnuTLS, or accept a new requirement of
> a "not too old" GnuTLS for the current Exim releases, if using GnuTLS.
>
> I've been going on the assumption that the only folks really on ancient
> GnuTLS are distros like Debian, who also maintain ancient Exim with
> patches, so they are not affected by this change until they also update
> Exim, when they can just update GnuTLS too.

Hmm. I suppose that Red Hat *is* like Debian.
RHEL 5.8 has gnutls-1.4.1 and RHEL 6.2 has gnutls-2.8.5.

I know sysadmins who still consider RHEL 6.2 a bit experimental
for production servers.

--
Dr. Andrew C. Aitchison        Computer Officer, DPMMS, Cambridge
A.C.Aitchison@???    http://www.dpmms.cam.ac.uk/~werdna