Re: [exim-dev] Merge commit message

Author: Phil Pennock
To: Todd Lyons
CC: exim-dev
Subject: Re: [exim-dev] Merge commit message
On 2012-05-20 at 08:26 -0700, Todd Lyons wrote:
> I just pushed a small commit with some additions to the test/README and an
> additional check when the test/runtest script is starting up. I did the
> work on a local topic branch and then merged that with master and pushed.
> I see that nobody else has merge commit messages, so is everybody just
> committing directly to master? Or rebasing their local topic branches onto
> master and then pushing? At work we keep all those merge messages, but is
> there an unofficial "no merge commit" policy within exim?

Normally development churn is low enough, with only me committing, that
when I've merged in a branch, even after waiting a week or so, it has
just advanced master. I'm very happy things are perking up to where
merge commits need to happen. :)

At the moment, in RC feature freeze, I'm fixing master. I'm guessing
that if anyone else is developing features they're doing it on branches
and you'll see more merge commits after 4.80 is out.

Merge commit messages are okay. For small changes, I might rebase to
reduce noise a little.

Where it's something that hung around and then got merged in, and there
had been other changes, I'll let it be a git merge:
Merge branch 'experimental_ocsp'
Merge branch 'dbmjz'
Merge branch 'sasl_fixes'

-Phil