Re: [exim-dev] Merge commit message

Author: Jeremy Harris
To: exim-dev
Subject: Re: [exim-dev] Merge commit message
On 2012-05-20 16:26, Todd Lyons wrote:
> I just pushed a small commit with some additions to the test/README and an
> additional check when the test/runtest script is starting up. I did the
> work on a local topic branch and then merged that with master and pushed.
> I see that nobody else has merge commit messages, so is everybody just
> committing directly to master? Or rebasing their local topic branches onto
> master and then pushing? At work we keep all those merge messages, but is
> there an unofficial "no merge commit" policy within exim?

I've not really worked out git's model yet in my mind.... sometimes
I've had merge messages, sometimes not. In general the sequence I try to
use is:
Work in branch foo. Commit.
Flip to master, pull.
Flip to foo, rebase, re-test.
Flip to master, pull. If new-stuff, go back one.
Merge foo (to master), push.

No doubt this is overkill, or wacky, or just plain wrong....
--
Jeremy