Re: [exim] Configuring Exim as an SMTP AUTH client only

Autor: Jeremy Harris
A: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [exim] Configuring Exim as an SMTP AUTH client only
On 2012-05-03 19:24, Dan wrote:
> Also, for the record, I am using Mutt as my MUA and I can
> receive mail there from my gmail account, but sending mail gives me no
> errors in the form of a returned message or anything in exim's log
> files.

How is your Mutt configured with respect to sending?

> client_auth:
>    driver = cram_md5
>    public_name = CRAM-MD5
>    client_name = my-username.isp-relay.org

Is that name really correct; the name of your account on the smarthost?
Doublecheck it.

>    client_secret = my-password

> PLAIN:
>    driver                     = plaintext
>    server_set_id              = $auth2
>    server_prompts             = :
>    server_condition           = ${if saslauthd{{$2}{$3}{smtp}} {1}}
>    server_advertise_condition = ${if def:tls_cipher }

You could try extending your "plain" authenticator to handle client-side
as well, as your smarthost supports it. However, your password would
be travelling the wire in clear, a security issue. I'm amazed your ISP
doesn't offer STARTTLS on 587. Do they support SSL-on-connect
(most common on 465)?

--
Cheers,
     Jeremy