Re: [exim] Format Error in spool file

Author: ruairi.hickey@collon.ie
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Format Error in spool file
On 26/04/12 07:04, Phil Pennock wrote:
> On 2012-04-24 at 12:10 +0100, ruairi.hickey@??? wrote:
>>        I am receiving format errors in spool files in incoming mail from
>> a single remote server.  How can I see which line in the header file is
>> causing the problem ?   I have listed the spool header file below...
> "exim -d+deliver -M 1SMFVW-0004t7-Na" may help, but I wouldn't hold out
> too much hope, since the diagnostics aren't great.

> In every case I know of to date, format errors in the spool file have
> been caused by people using other software to manipulate the file
> contents inside the spool. Are you running something which might be
> doing this?
>
> Also, which version of Exim are you running?
>
>> -tls_peerdn
>> C=IE,2.5.4.17=#1309436f2e4475626c696e,ST=Dublin,L=Dublin,STREET=Blackrock,STREET=
>> ,STREET=Canada Life House\, Temple Road,O=CANADA LIFE GROUP SERVICES
>> LIMITED,OU=IS,OU=Hosted by Canada Life (UK) Ltd.,OU=PremiumSSL
>> Wildcard,CN=*.canadalife.ie
> Was this all one long line, or is it really multiple lines? If it's
> multiple, then that's the corruption.
>
> -Phil

Thanks Phil,
     I had just solved this myself and went to reply to my own thread to
see you had solved it for me... but yes you are correct...there is a
carriage return newline in the certificate and I noticed when I sent an
email to the remote user to explain the fault that exim logged the
following outgoing

alan.maceneaney@??? <Alan.MacEneaney@???>
R=dnslookup T=remote_smtp H=mail.canadalife.ie [195.95.190.16]
X=TLS1.0:RSA_AES_256_CBC_SHA1:32
DN="C=IE,2.5.4.17=#1309436f2e4475626c696e,ST=Dublin,L=Dublin,STREET=Blackrock,STREET=\r\n,STREET=Canada
Life House\, Temple Road,O=CANADA LIFE GROUP SERVICES
LIMITED,OU=IS,OU=Hosted by Canada Life (UK) Ltd.,OU=PremiumSSL
Wildcard,CN=*.canadalife.ie"
2012-04-26 15:48:29 1SNQvh-0007Cv-KC Completed

and I assume the problem is coming from the \r\n (Carriage Return
NewLine) which is in their generated certificate.

Is the use of the \r\n in the certificate name illegal or should exim be
able to deal with it... I am running Exim version 4.72 from Debian
Squeeze distribution.

Ruairi