Re: [exim] Queue life for 5xx + Connection errors

Author: Ted Cooper
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Queue life for 5xx + Connection errors
On 30/03/12 22:56, Ron White wrote:
> Good afternoon,
>
> I have a bit of brain freeze I could use a jab in the right direction
> with.
>
> If Exim tries to deliver a message to a remote server and gets a 5xx
> code back, say 550 no such user, am I right in thinking the message
> should fail right away with an NDR, not remain on the queue being
> re-tried?

5xx means go away, do not retry.

> More sticky, if a remote server refuses connections from Exim - say it
> is firewalling off the connecting ip, should that fail at once or stay
> on the queue for x hours?

A firewalled off server is the same as a non-responsive server. Treated
as 4xx usually and normal retry rules apply.

> I'm sure in the first case it should fail at once, and in the second
> retry as the connection error could be transient, but I'd like to know
> for sure before I start troubleshooting.

rfc2821

quote
   1yz   Positive Preliminary reply
      The command has been accepted, but the requested action is being
      held in abeyance, pending confirmation of the information in this
      reply.  The SMTP client should send another command specifying
      whether to continue or abort the action.  Note: unextended SMTP
      does not have any commands that allow this type of reply, and so
      does not have continue or abort commands.

   2yz   Positive Completion reply
      The requested action has been successfully completed.  A new
      request may be initiated.

   3yz   Positive Intermediate reply
      The command has been accepted, but the requested action is being
      held in abeyance, pending receipt of further information.  The
      SMTP client should send another command specifying this
      information.  This reply is used in command sequence groups (i.e.,
      in DATA).

   4yz   Transient Negative Completion reply
      The command was not accepted, and the requested action did not
      occur.  However, the error condition is temporary and the action
      may be requested again.  The sender should return to the beginning
      of the command sequence (if any).  It is difficult to assign a
      meaning to "transient" when two different sites (receiver- and

      sender-SMTP agents) must agree on the interpretation.  Each reply
      in this category might have a different time value, but the SMTP
      client is encouraged to try again.  A rule of thumb to determine
      whether a reply fits into the 4yz or the 5yz category (see below)
      is that replies are 4yz if they can be successful if repeated
      without any change in command form or in properties of the sender
      or receiver (that is, the command is repeated identically and the
      receiver does not put up a new implementation.)

   5yz   Permanent Negative Completion reply
      The command was not accepted and the requested action did not
      occur.  The SMTP client is discouraged from repeating the exact
      request (in the same sequence).  Even some "permanent" error
      conditions can be corrected, so the human user may want to direct
      the SMTP client to reinitiate the command sequence by direct
      action at some point in the future (e.g., after the spelling has
      been changed, or the user has altered the account status).
/quote

SMTP
http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2821.txt (replaced by 5321)
http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc5321.txt