Re: [exim] seemingly always-zero part in queue-ids

Author: W B Hacker
To: exim users
Subject: Re: [exim] seemingly always-zero part in queue-ids
Dave Lugo wrote:
> On Fri, 9 Mar 2012, Moritz Wilhelmy wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, Mar 09, 2012 at 11:31:23 -0600, Mike Kennedy wrote:
>>> From the Exim Documentation:
>>>
>>> "After the ?rst hyphen, the next six characters are the id of the
>>> process
>>> that received the message."
>>>
>>> The process ID of the exim process that received the mail would have
>>> to be
>>> numbered at least (62^3 = ) 238328 for that 4th character alone to be
>>> nonzero!
>>
>> So this never happens anywhere, but just to be sure, there are some
>> additional zeroes?
>>

> http://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/16883/what-is-the-maximum-value-of-the-pid-of-a-process

Moritz,

Per that article, Linux assigns PID sequentially.

I'm not sure that is actually universally true, but never mind, 'coz
that isn't the only platform Exim runs on...

and .. some OTHER unix'n assign PID's ... randomly.

So, yeah - it could happen. Someday. Maybe. Somewhere.

And Exim would JF handle it.

Looks more like a solution than a problem to me...

Or are you gettin' air-miles for saving zeros?

Bill
--
韓家標