Re: [exim] Exim SMTP Auth Issue

Author: Lena
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Exim SMTP Auth Issue
> From: Muhammad Irfan

> I am using two exim instance one for SMTP sending emails and one for
> POP/IMAP to receive emails.

I use one instance for both.

> I tried to configure SMTP authentication via creating
> /etc/exim/passwd.client file which contains all my domain users with
> password.
> -rw-r--r-- 1 root root /etc/exim/passwd.client

The file should be protected from reading by webserver and other users:
-rw-r----- 1 root mail
(I use FreeBSD, possibly other group name under other operating systems).

> $ cat /etc/exim/passwd.client (manually inserted those users,pass)
> myuser1:secret1
> myuser2:secret2
> myuser3:secret3
> exim.conf related snip:
> never_user = root
> plain:
> driver = plaintext
> public_name = PLAIN
> client_send = "${extract{auth_name}\
> {${lookup{$sender_address}lsearch\
> {/etc/exim/passwd.client}{$value}fail}}}\
> ${extract{auth_pass}\
> {${lookup{$sender_address}lsearch\
> {/etc/exim/passwd.client}{$value}fail}}}"

client_send is for auth when Exim acts as a client.

> Email Client OutLook related snip:

> (SELECTED) My outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication.

You need the opposite: auth when your Exim acts as a server.

begin authenticators
  driver = plaintext
  public_name = PLAIN
  server_prompts = :
  server_condition = ${if eq{$auth3}\
  server_set_id = $auth2

  driver = plaintext
  public_name = LOGIN
  server_prompts = "Username:: : Password::"
  server_condition = ${if eq{$auth2}\
  server_set_id = $auth1

I use PAM instead of plain text file, so I'm not sure in the
server_condition string. I hope that other list members will check.