Re: [exim] Exim: Select smarthost on basis of receipient add…

Author: Dominic Benson
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Exim: Select smarthost on basis of receipient address
On 16/02/12 10:17, Dominic Benson wrote:
> On 16/02/12 08:26, Muhammad Irfan wrote:
>> <https://mail.google.com/>Hello,
>>
>> I know smarthost selection can be done on basis of sender_address.
>> i found following two URL's are good resources for that.
>>
>> http://www.volker-wegert.de/en/node/35
>> http://www.tgunkel.de/docs/exim_smarthosts.en
>>
>> But is that possible on basis of recipient address? I need whenever my
>> domain user send an email to same domain user it will relay to another
>> server e.g. abc@??? sends an email to xyz@??? it need to
>> relay on mail.example.com SMTP.
>> And when my domain user sends an email to external domain it will go
>> through locally by dnslookup. e..g abc@??? sends an email to
>> hotmail,yahoo, gmail it needs to go through locally from
>> mail1.example.comSMTP.
>
> The manualroute router is what you need here - full docs on it are at
> http://www.exim.org/exim-html-current/doc/html/spec_html/ch20.html
>
> In short, specify
> domains=example.com
> route_data=mail.example.com
> transport=remote_smtp
>
> If you're on a Debian-ish setup, then
> router/150_exim4-config_hubbed_hosts contains a good generalised
> implementation

It occurs to me that there are a couple of other thing I should say on this:

- If all the mailboxes are on the US host, couldn't you just use
dnslookup for *all* outbound mail - as there is no local delivery, your
MX need only refer to the primary (US) site. The only reason not to
(that I can think of) would be if you want to send to a backend host
with a firewall exception, bypassing the normal frontend MXes. If you
can, then it would remove some maintenance overhead.

- Depending on your existing routers and the domains they handle, you
may need to be careful about the router order. It needs to be before any
other router that would (but shouldn't) handle the domain.