Re: [exim] redirect question

Author: Ted Cooper
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] redirect question
On 12/02/12 09:33, jb wrote:
> Thanks for answering me a while, back, i took a break into trying to
> resolve it, I'm still stuck as to where I can find clear documentation
> on this, I tried looking into what you mentioned but it doesn't add up
> because exim is supposed to be setup to authenticate as part of the
> user(I know this is possible).. Jdoe has to be in a way mapped to
> vlgrbnz(email credential login) which exim does by impersonating jdoe's
> login..

Sounds like you want a way to configure an authenticated smart host.

You need a router, authenticator and transport configured to route the
appropriate emails to the transport using the supplied authentication.

9. Configuring an Exim client to use TLS
http://www.exim.org/exim-html-current/doc/html/spec_html/ch39.html#SECID185

Chapter 30 - The smtp transport
http://www.exim.org/exim-html-current/doc/html/spec_html/ch30.html

Chapter 33 - SMTP authentication
http://www.exim.org/exim-html-current/doc/html/spec_html/ch33.html

Chapter 34 - The plaintext authenticator
http://www.exim.org/exim-html-current/doc/html/spec_html/ch34.html

Ignore Step 1 and Step 3, and this gives some excellent hints as to what
is required to smart host though gmail. Steps 1 and 2 are very specific
to the debian/ubuntu multi-file setup are are only useful if you're on
that platform.
http://www.manu-j.com/blog/wordpress-exim4-ubuntu-gmail-smtp/75/

Chapters 33 and 34 include exim behaving as a server and client. You
want it to be a client to authenticate with the smart host.