[exim] Limits on hostslists, was: Re: Throttling mail based …

Author: Jethro R Binks
To: exim-users
Subject: [exim] Limits on hostslists, was: Re: Throttling mail based on MX record
On Wed, 25 Jan 2012, Marius Stan wrote:

> And i had to define that macro THROTTLED_SERVERS, because the hostlist below
> doesn't get expanded ?!:
> hostlist throttled_servers=relay1.romtelecom.net : relay2.romtelecom.net
> [..]
> condition = ${if forany{${lookup dnsdb{>:
> mxh=$domain}}}{inlisti{$item}{+throttled_servers}}}

Not a direct response to this, but years ago I hit the limit of hostlists
(and other types), which is, what, 16, or 32 or something? in a
configuration I was building. I used macros to work around it, but the
only solution was to tweak some build parameter and rebuild, which I was
loath to do as I was trying to keep using the FreeBSD ports and it wasn't
an exposed tunable at that time (I think I did some work on making it so
but can't remember if I ever sorted it).

Anyway, in those days I think lots of hostlists was thought to be a very
niche requirement, but I suspect it is more common to use more of them
now, so maybe it is a good time to re-think what the limit is. There was
an explanation on the list from Phil about the implications of increasing
the number, but with today's hardware, they probably aren't very
significant. I can probably dig out the references if anyone is
interested.

Jethro.

Jethro R Binks, Network Manager,
Information Services Directorate, University Of Strathclyde, Glasgow, UK

The University of Strathclyde is a charitable body, registered in
Scotland, number SC015263.