Re: [exim] usage/popularity of Exim

Author: Graeme Fowler
To: Oliver Howe
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] usage/popularity of Exim
On Tue, 2012-01-24 at 15:01 +0000, Oliver Howe wrote:
> Yes, the reason why my company uses it is because it enables us to
> make it do what we and our customers want it to.
> This is all the better if I can back that up with "roughly a quarter
> of the world's mail servers are running Exim which is an indication of
> its ability, reliability, resilience and robustness" etc.

Unfortunately, as much as I would like that to be true, it's more like
"roughly a quarter of all contactable mail servers tested by a single
survey company last year were running Exim at the time of the test,
which is an indication that they were running Exim at the time of the
test" :)

There are myriad reasons for them to have been doing so, but I would
suspect "because it was the default MTA chosen by the OS or application
packager" would be more accurate.

There are at least two people from cPanel on this list that I am aware
of (maybe more) - chaps, do you have an explanation of why you chose
Exim for cPanel/WHM installations?

Graeme