Re: [exim] milter?

Author: W B Hacker
To: exim users
Subject: Re: [exim] milter?
Murray S. Kucherawy wrote:
>> From: Odhiambo Washington [mailto:odhiambo@gmail.com] Sent:
>> Wednesday, January 11, 2012 11:28 PM To: Murray S. Kucherawy Cc:
>> exim-users@??? Subject: Re: [exim] milter?
>>
>> What is this "milter"?
>>
>> Is it better than Exiscan, which is already part of Exim core?
>
> I don’t know about “better”, but it’s different. Essentially it’s an
> MTA plugin framework that’s already supported by sendmail and
> postfix.

If one wants to 'mine' the archives, ISTR several instances wherein
pre-existing milters - cases where an entity making a migration had a
significant investment in a milter - have been interfaced to Exim.

It is rare largely because Exim can do internally all the things that a
separate milter is needed for on 'different' MTA.

There is a learning curve, yes. But it leads to a few more lines in
~configure rather than need of a third-party milter that has its own
separate syntax and devel cycle.

Ultimately, the integral-to-Exim approach becomes easier to maintain.
Ergo, I'd not expect to see much more in the way of milter use being
developed than Exim already has several usable 'hooks' for, even if one
wishes to NOT use Exim's internal toolsets.

Bill
--
韓家標