Re: [exim] Mysql support - no errors but checking compiled i…

Author: Ron White
Subject: Re: [exim] Mysql support - no errors but checking compiled in
On Thu, 2011-09-29 at 10:21 +0200, Marcin Mirosław wrote:
> W dniu 29.09.2011 08:17, Ron White pisze:
>
> One more thing,
> > domainlist hosted_domains = ${lookup mysql{MYSQL_HOSTEDDOMAINLIST}}
>
> here you use variable "hosted_domains"
>
> > <relevant ACL clause>
> > check_rcpt:
> > accept  domains = local_domains : *.local_domains
> > deny    message = relay not permitted

> But in ACL you don't. ":hosted_domains" is missing?
> Regards,
> Marcin

Thanks Marcin, as is typical when posting to a list I spotted that about
a minute after I posted, however, correcting the blunder makes no
difference. I must thank you for reading my post in detail and spotting
that - I really appreciate it.

I don't so much mind if the version of Exim I've installed does not have
mysql support built it, it would just be really helpful if it would
cough an error or two when I try to instigate calls to it if it's not
supported so I'm in the right ball park with my trouble-shooting. I'm no
developer but if a user made a call to something unsupported that made
was nonsensical to a running program, it would think it would error out
in some way - which kind of ties me into thinking that it may have mysql
support available!

Running through the other really useful posts (I tip my hat to everyone
who kindly took the time to reply and help me):

First of all forgive me - Cent/RHEL is not my native tongue - (I'm from
a Debian background but have the need to learn RHEL, so things that
should be obvious to me, may not be) - my previous encounters with RPM
have been rare and usually involved ALIEN.

Indeed Exim was not in the standard repository. I added rpmforge (and
possibly another) and it was found therein. Running:

# rpm -qvi exim
Name : exim Relocations: (not relocatable)
Version     : 4.72
Vendor: Fedora Project
Release     : 2.el6
Build Date: Tue 24 May 2011 18:40:27 BST
Install Date: Wed 14 Sep 2011 09:43:07 BST
Build Host: x86-04.phx2.fedoraproject.org
Group: System Environment/Daemons
Source RPM: exim-4.72-2.el6.src.rpm
Size: 3897769
License: GPLv2+
Signature : RSA/8, Wed 25 May 2011 08:09:14 BST, Key ID 3b49df2a0608b895
Packager: Fedora Project
Summary     : The exim mail transfer agent....<snip>

Running a fake 'debug' session (part snipped for clarity)
SMTP<< mail from: <>
SMTP>> 250 OK

250 OK
rcpt to: postmaster@MUNGED
SMTP<< rcpt to: postmaster@MUNGED
using ACL "check_rcpt"
processing "accept"
check domains = local_domains : *.local_domains
MUNGED in "local_domains : *.local_domains"? no (end of list)
accept: condition test failed
processing "accept"
check hosts =
host in ""? no (end of list)
accept: condition test failed
processing "deny"
deny: condition test succeeded
SMTP>> 550 relay not permitted

550 relay not permitted
LOG: MAIN REJECT

Also, having enabled MySQL to log all queries, there is nothing to be
seen from Exim coming in.

I think Nigel is on to the winning answer here. If I search yum for
exim, it finds...

exim.i686 : The exim mail transfer agent
exim-doc.noarch : Documentation for the exim mail transfer agent
exim-greylist.i686 : Example configuration for greylisting using Exim
exim-mon.i686 : X11 monitor application for Exim
exim-mysql.i686 : MySQL lookup support for Exim
exim-pgsql.i686 : PostgreSQL lookup support for Exim
exim-sa.i686 : Exim SpamAssassin at SMTP time - d/l plugin

So I'm guessing I need to install:

exim-mysql.i686

I'll try that first :-)