Re: [exim] retry times

Author: Phil Pennock
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] retry times
On 2011-01-26 at 16:28 -0500, Sergei Gerasenko wrote:
> Sorry if this has been asked before.
>
> A message has been sitting in my queue. The log file contains multiple
> instances of "remote_smtp defer (110): Connection timed out". I've connected
> to the host on 25 and verified that I'm indeed unable to talk to it. So far
> so good. My question is: why does Exim try to deliver it about every 3-4
> minutes (with "Spool file is locked another process is handling this
> message" about every 15-30 seconds)?

The "queue runner" is not ordered. Each queue runner takes a look at
handling a mail; if the spool file is locked, another runner is assumed
to be handling it and the runner continues on.

You probably have a lot of queue runners competing with each other.
Perhaps you should increase the time between starting queue-runners, or
perhaps you should look at turning on split_spool_directory and then
scripting a fancier queue runner strategy.

> So, why is it doing it so frequently? Also is there a way to not include
> "another process is handling this message" in the log?

log_selector = -skip_delivery

This will also avoid logging "Message is frozen".

For more details, see:
http://www.exim.org/exim-html-current/doc/html/spec_html/ch49.html#SECTlogselector

49.15, "Reducing or increasing what is logged"

Note: the leading minus sign is important.

-Phil