Re: [exim] retry times

Author: W B Hacker
To: exim users
Subject: Re: [exim] retry times
Sergei Gerasenko wrote:
> Sorry if this has been asked before.
>
> A message has been sitting in my queue. The log file contains multiple
> instances of "remote_smtp defer (110): Connection timed out". I've connected
> to the host on 25 and verified that I'm indeed unable to talk to it. So far
> so good. My question is: why does Exim try to deliver it about every 3-4
> minutes (with "Spool file is locked another process is handling this
> message" about every 15-30 seconds)?
>
> The retry rule is:
>
> *                      *           F,2h,15m; G,16h,1h,1.5; F,4d,6h

> So, why is it doing it so frequently? Also is there a way to not include
> "another process is handling this message" in the log?
>
> Thanks!

The retry (alone) fires a queue-runner every 15 minutes for the first 2 hours,
etc ..

The 'another process' message can show up as there are ordinarily queue runners
fired by each transiting message session child process AND a 'clean up' queue
runner fired by the invocation setting.

-q55s on my boxes, but -q5m might be more sane generally.

Check your invocation (init or rc, or ...) to see what your box is using and you
may have your answer.

Unless extreme, the situation is harmless.

One can turn-off the logging of it.

See the options for 'log_selector ='

HTH,

Bill