Re: [exim] exim-4.74 on Solaris 10

Author: Dennis Davis
To: Drav Sloan
CC: Exim Users, Frank Elsner
Subject: Re: [exim] exim-4.74 on Solaris 10
On Wed, 26 Jan 2011, Drav Sloan wrote:

> From: Drav Sloan <holborn-exim@???>
> To: Frank Elsner <Frank.Elsner@???>
> Cc: Dennis Davis <D.H.Davis@???>, Exim Users <exim-users@???>
> Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2011 16:12:50
> Subject: Re: [exim] exim-4.74 on Solaris 10
>
> Frank Elsner wrote:
> > > I'm puzzled, where does "DNSDB.o" come from? The exim source uses
> > > lowercase filenames. There's certainly a src/lookups/dnsdb.c which
> > > give an object file dnsdb.o. But there's no DNSDB.c
> >
> > Maybe "tr" on Solaris is broken? Wouldn't be the only one :-(
>
> As Phil Pennock has already pointed out, the tr that will usually be in
> Solaris's default path will expect:
>
> tr [A-Z] [a-z]
>

> However the tr in /usr/xpg4/bin will happily take
>
> tr A-Z a-z
>
> and hence the suggested
>
> PATH=/usr/xpg4/bin:$PATH make
>
> fix (which admittedily expects the /usr/xpg4/bin path to be there,
> installed with a package which my memory is failing to remember!)

If you look at scripts/lookups-Makefile you'll see that Phil
generates an appropriate search PATH and uses a POSIX compliant
shell on Solaris if /usr/xpg4/bin/sh is present. So the above fix:

PATH=/usr/xpg4/bin:$PATH make ...

isn't strictly necessary. Phil's script certainly works on the
Solaris box running exim-4.74 here.

If I move the /usr/xpg4/bin directory sideways and try to build exim
I just get a different failure to the one Frank is seeing. I get:

grep: illegal option -- q
Usage: grep -hblcnsviw pattern file . . .
Missing CFLAGS_DYNAMIC inhibits building dynamic module lookup
../scripts/lookups-Makefile: syntax error at line 51: `mod_name=$' unexpected
*** Error code 2
The following command caused the error:
cd build-${build:-`/bin/sh scripts/os-type`-`/bin/sh scripts/arch-type`}; \
build= /bin/sh ../scripts/Configure-Makefile; \
/bin/sh ../scripts/lookups-Makefile
make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `configure'

(The grep failure is because /usr/bin/grep on Solaris won't accept
 the -q argument.  The show-stopping "syntax error at line 51" is
 because /bin/sh on Solaris is the original Bourne shell which isn't
 POSIX compliant.)
--
Dennis Davis, BUCS, University of Bath, Bath, BA2 7AY, UK
D.H.Davis@???               Phone: +44 1225 386101