Re: [exim] Change Received from

Author: W B Hacker
To: exim users
Subject: Re: [exim] Change Received from
Jean-Pierre wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I need help to change the Received: field. I tried with helo_data in the
> /etc/exim/exim.conf but it didnt work.

> ESMTP id .... etc

> So there are 2 hostnames. The first one is correct, but the second one is a
> virtual hostname (myVhost.net) which I don't want to appear in outgoing
> mails.
>
> Any hint is appreciated,
>
> Thank you.

host <the real IP>

..and more than once if there is more than one <domain>.<tld> returned.

Whatever the DNS returns 'on top' will be what appears where you have;

(myVhost.net [IP.IP.IP.IP])

Your 'helo_data' only controls what your server furmishes where you have
'serverName.net'

If you change the DNS entry so that it aqrees with the helo you use, OR change
the helo to agree with the DNS, OR a multiple-entry one 'just happens' to match
every 'factorial-nth' dice-roll, one of the fields will be dropped, resulting
in simply:

from domain.tld ([IP.IP.IP.IP]:PORT) by

Note that multiple <domain>.<tld> per IP PTR RR are 'legal', and cannot be
'solved' by helo_data manipulation, as the one 'on top' of a DNS query return is
somewhat random. And not under the sender's controol...

Check headers of my posts of 21 January to this list for examples of both agree/not.

HTH,

Bill