Re: [exim] Per RCPT DATA reply

Author: Graeme Fowler
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Per RCPT DATA reply
On Thu, 2011-01-20 at 22:07 -0800, Claus Assmann wrote:
> Hmm, isn't it sufficient to have two independent MTAs that implement
> the feature to publish this as RFC? Seems I don't know enough about
> that process.

Sadly, no. It requires someone with the perseverance of a marathon
runner and the patience of a saint to get a draft through a working
group to be accepted as an RFC. Occasionally "it just happens", but
mostly the documents bounce around forever and remain drafts (expired
ones at that, such as the PRDR draft).

That said, lots of drafts have been implemented and become "de facto"
standards. I'd be interested to know which mainstream MTA has already
got PRDR implemented...

> I don't need too, I already implemented it in one MTA, and if I
> had the time, I could put it into another "main stream" MTA.

The principal issue with this approach is that - as written - the PRDR
spec needs both ends to play the same game.
Implementing PRDR in one, two, or a few hundred MTAs under one person or
organisation's control is doomed - because nobody else will "speak" it.
If needed, it needs to be in a distribution in the source code.

I would suggest that exim-dev@??? would be a better place to have
this discussion, after searching for an enhancement request in Bugzilla
and opening one if there isn't one already.

Graeme