Re: [exim-dev] Proposed change: compiler strictness issues

Author: Phil Pennock
To: exim-dev
Subject: Re: [exim-dev] Proposed change: compiler strictness issues
On 2011-01-16 at 05:10 -0500, Phil Pennock wrote:
> For various reasons, I chose to try to compile Exim with these compiler
> flags (under gcc):
>
> -Werror -Wwrite-strings -Wunused-function -Waddress -Wpointer-sign
> -Wformat -Wuninitialized -Winit-self
>
> I've almost succeeded, patch referenced below. One file eludes me, in
> the DKIM code. Test platform was FreeBSD/amd64 with gcc 4.2.1.

Using gcc 4.5.2 20101125 (prerelease), the only additional issue is that
gcc45 doesn't like the unused "dummy" functions used as guards for
#ifndef <feature-we-want> in:

auths/call_pam.c
auths/call_radius.c
lookups/spf.c

I'm guessing that the dummy function is needed for linking with some
non-gnu environments, but I'm outside my comfort zone with that guess.
I'm inclined to create a __GNUC__-guarded UNUSED function attribute for
those.