Re: [exim] exim 4.7 slowness

Author: Drav Sloan
To: CauBa
CC: exim-users, strr-exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] exim 4.7 slowness
CauBa wrote:
> # DISABLE_DKIM to "yes"
> # DISABLE_DKIM=yes

Should be the default setting presently, as far as I could work out this
(auto-enabled!) feature only seems to add overhead to both processing and
log writing, yet serves no additional use.

Others may disagree, but for my monies worth, DKIM is pretty redundant.

> Might it also be this ?
> Since 4.70,
>
> NM/01 Bugzilla 657: Embedded PCRE removed from the exim source tree.
>       When building exim an external PCRE library is now needed -
>       PCRE is a system library on the majority of modern systems.
>       See entry on PCRE_LIBS in EDITME file.

> non-embedded PCRE is used for versions 4.70 and greater. I wonder if that also has a performance impact.

PCRE is written by Philip Hazel, the retired author of exim (PCRE is
one thing he still maintains). There should not be a massive difference
to "internal" and "external" versions of the library. An strace/ktrace
would highlight this "potential" bottleneck though.

Regards

D.