Re: [exim] exim 4.7 slowness

Author: Drav Sloan
To: CauBa
CC: exim-users, Drav Sloan
Subject: Re: [exim] exim 4.7 slowness
CauBa wrote:
> Thanks for your suggestion Drav,
> My server will take on the burden of receiving messages quickly and
> not cause a delay on the sending side so that is not an option.

There shouldn't be that noticeable a difference to the sender from
a message being delivered directly to it being queued; they will
see the confirmation of the acceptance of the message at exactly
the same time.

> It was queueing and dequeueing decently with 4.69

This may be true, but I did wonder how long a down time there was
between the version swaps? If this mail server is sole host, then
the "internet" would have a backlog of messages that would swarm
in once the server returned. queue_only in those situations tends
to make for a slow server until it can catch up with the backlog.

The other thing you may want to do is trash your old temporary
"retry" databases - sometimes that can cause large delays in
"loaded" situations.

If it's none of the above, good luck tracking the problem down,
maybe a diagnoses with an exim -d -bh would help point to where
the delay is (maybe DNS lookups, SQL lookups, ldap lookups etc etc)!

Regards

D.