[exim] exim 4.72 - No retry, immediate long failure timeout

Author: Chris Russell
To: exim users
Subject: [exim] exim 4.72 - No retry, immediate long failure timeout
Hi All,

 Since we updated to exim 4.72 I've started this error a couple of times - basically exim ignoring retry and immediately bouncing email.

 Customer server was offline at the time, however exim should have queued and then retried, instead - this happened:

2011-01-05 13:42:46 1PaTdV-0002br-Cy <= client_care@??? H=smtp43.migrationexpert.com [203.89.253.143] P=esmtp S=19273 id=201101051338.p05DaiHp012064@???

[ Processed by MailScanner which then puts this into an outbound queue ]

2011-01-05 13:43:25 1PaTdV-0002br-Cy ** j.dolan@??? <J.Dolan@???> R=dnslookup T=remote_smtp: retry time not reached for any host after a long failure period
2011-01-05 13:43:25 1PaTe9-0002eu-Dv <= <> R=1PaTdV-0002br-Cy U=exim P=local S=20618
2011-01-05 13:43:25 1PaTdV-0002br-Cy Completed

 Retry config :

# Address or Domain    Error       Retries
# -----------------    -----       -------

*                      *           F,2h,15m; G,16h,1h,1.5; F,4d,6h

 If it was once, I`d say glitch but this happened with 20-25 individual emails - has anyone seen any similar behaviour ? DNS is absolutely fine, only the customer server would have timed out  (and I've only seen this since the update to 4.72) - headers from one of the bounces generated also back up the times in the logs.

Thanks

Chris

Knowledge I.T.
‘Unifying Business Technology’
www.knowledgeit.co.uk

Knowledge Limited, Company Registration: 1554385
Registered Office: New Century House, Crowther Road, Washington, Tyne & Wear. NE38 0AQ
Leeds Office: Viscount Court, Leeds Road, Rothwell, Leeds. LS26 0GR

Tel: 0845 142 0020. Fax: 0845 142 0021

E-Mail Disclaimer: This e-mail message is intended to be received only by persons entitled to receive the confidential information it may contain. E-mail messages to clients of Knowledge IT may contain information that is confidential and legally privileged. Please do not read, copy, forward, or store this message unless you are an intended recipient of it. If you have received this message in error, please forward it to the sender and delete it completely from your computer system.