[exim-dev] List participation (exim-dev)

Author: Phil Pennock
To: W B Hacker
CC: exim-dev
Subject: [exim-dev] List participation (exim-dev)
On 2010-12-15 at 12:42 +0000, Paul Civati wrote:
> W B Hacker <wbh@???> wrote:
> > Time to move on. Really.

No, it wasn't time to move on. Paul was reporting a real code problem
and working to get it solved, which is part of what exim-dev is for.
(I introduced a bug for old systems and relied upon a suggestion I found
for how to deal with those systems, but that was a mistake on my part.)

By contrast, we don't all need to hear another screed about the one true
mail-system design and managerial instructions from the side-lines about
what we should do, with no patches offered.

Speaking personally, Paul's input on exim-dev has been considerably more
constructive and useful than yours, Bill, and it's disappointing to
discover that he was being told by you, off-list, to shut up. Please
don't do that.

I could be as gracious as David demonstrated recently, with an off-list
reply myself, but I do think it *important* that this point be made
where others can see and know that at least one maintainer actively and
strongly disagrees with what you did here.

-Phil