Re: [exim] Not advertising STARTTLS

Author: Dave Evans
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Not advertising STARTTLS
On Sun, Sep 19, 2010 at 06:34:06PM -0400, Allen Williams wrote:
> I cannot get exim4 to advertise STARTTLS. Here is the germane section
> from my autoconfigure.exim.conf file that is configured via a Debian
> configuration. As near as I can tell, the only germane lines are the
> first three. I can post the exim4.conf.template if necessary:
> tls_certificate = "/etc/exim4/tls/exim.crt"
> tls_privatekey = "/etc/exim4/tls/exim.key"
> tls_advertise_hosts = *

Just a hunch:
I don't know offhand what checks Exim makes, but I wouldn't be surprised if
one of the checks is permissions on the crt and key files, and on the
directory containing them. Permissions like this are probably a good idea:

-rw-r-----  1 root        Debian-exim  2704 2009-12-29 17:29 server.crt
-rw-r-----  1 root        Debian-exim   887 2009-11-26 20:37 server.key

i.e. not world-readable, not world-writeable (and also there's no reason for
exim to be able to write them either).

Hope my wild stab in the dark helps,

--
Dave Evans