Re: [exim] IMAP and Maildir?

Author: W B Hacker
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] IMAP and Maildir?
Phil Pennock wrote:
> On 2010-09-16 at 10:25 -0600, Morgan Gangwere wrote:
>> I'm trying to get IMAP and Maildir delivery working... Only to see something
>> odd happen.
>>
>> I want mail to live in ~/Maildir/[folders]
>> I don't want the directories my MUA thinks should exist cluttering up my home
>> dir.
>>

>> What I want is something like this:
>> ~/Maildir/inbox/...
>> ~/Maildir/sent/...
>> ~/Maildir/[etc...]
>>
>> How can I configure uw-imapd to do this? /can/ uw-imapd do this?
>
> (1) This is exim-users, for the Exim MTA.  If you want to know whether
>     or not Exim can be configured to deliver directly in this format,
>     that's an appropriate question for this list.
> (2) uw-imapd does not support Maildir, last I checked.  This is a
>     deliberate decision.  You might be able to patch it in, but that's
>     no longer uw-imapd.  Here we go:
>     http://www.washington.edu/imap/IMAP-FAQs/index.html#1.31
> (3) Maildir hierarchies are a Maildir++ feature.  The name of the
>     directory holding a sub-folder *always* starts with a ".", thus
>     you'd have:
>     ~/Maildir/        <- the main inbox
>     ~/Maildir/.sent/    <- send mail
>     ~/Maildir/.Trash/    <- garbage, rubbish, and other 4am posts
>     [...]

> Exim can certainly be configured to deliver as per point (3) above, but
> first choose IMAP software which can support Maildir storage formats and
> then look at the requirements of that software. Many use their own
> delivery tools which should be invoked for delivery to get a supported
> configuration. I recommend using such tools and only trying to
> short-circuit them out of the loop later, *if* it proves necessary and
> once you already have a working configuration to fall back to.
>
> Regards,
> -Phil

'In addition'.... IMAP is not universally properly implemented in all MUA (or
even in all IMAPD's). Not sure there is even 'on the ground' agreement on what
IS 'proper'.

Have a care that [the|all of] MUA you need to support can work with the way you
want your IMAPD to work and/or the reverse.

Not a bad idea to:

- set Exim to create Maildir's in its built-in manner on first-arrival of a
message for a new user. Send a test or 'Welcome' message to that user to trigger
that.

- set your IMAPD of choice (Dovecot in my case) to automagically create its
indices and such on first attempt of that user to login and read.

- 'Subscribe' with (each of) your target MUA(s)

- create and move a few new folders and sub-folders.

THEN ... go and look at what the combination of these players have *actually*
done to your mailstore structure, ownership, and perms.

Once you see what the players expect as default, and/or are doing differently
than expected - you can adjust accordingly.

HTH,

Bill

PS: Exim and Dovecot are about as flexible and painless as partners as I've
seen. UW has it pluses, too. But I'm lazy......