Re: [exim] Mail lists, gmail servers in mx and local users i…

Author: W B Hacker
To: exim users
Subject: Re: [exim] Mail lists, gmail servers in mx and local users issue
Peter Bowyer wrote:
> 2009/11/23 Cameron Smith <velvetpixel@???>:
>> Our mail is hosted at gmail.
>>
>> Our mail server sends our mailing lists using Exim.
>>
>> Our domain is example.com
>
> I doubt it, but anyway...

>> the mail as it is trying to deliver the mail locally rather than
>> sending to the gmail mailserver listed in the mx.
>>
>> How can I fix this?
>
> Assuming you want no addresses at your domain to be treated as local
> by your Exim MTA, take your domain name out of the 'local_domains'
> domain list (assuming a stock config).

Cameron,

.. all of which also raises the question:

How, and to what address(es) do 'posts' TO the list arrive?

They probably need a bit of recognition and handling logic as well, lest they be
refused by the settings so far suggested.

JFWIW - life is considerably simpler (especially when 'bounces' are returned) if
the MTA/MLM can be given a valid <domain>.<tld> of its own, and outbound headers
set to what makes sense w/r distinguishing 'From:, 'Reply To:', posts,
moderation, subscribe/unsubscribe, and the return path needed by the inevitable
bounces a list will encounter as members change addresses, overfill quotas, or
go on vacation.

All old stuff, and probably better covered in your Mailing List Manager software
docs and their support/user list archives than here.

Bill