Re: [exim] Improving Exim Documentation: A Simple Suggestion

Author: Tony Meyer
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Improving Exim Documentation: A Simple Suggestion
On Thu, Nov 12, 2009 at 9:39 PM, Nigel Metheringham
<nigel.metheringham@???> wrote:
> Based on previous experience we need a system which needs a close to zero maintenance as possible, because its going to get at most zero maintenance!

+1 to this.

I think before getting caught up in producing amazing looking
documentation, it's worth trying to resolve the initial
observation/issue here, which is that Google almost never suggests the
current documentation (and often the version suggested is not just
slightly out of date, but < v4). You're reasonably lucky if you get a
first-page link to the docs at all, rather than various forum
postings.

Surely there must be a way to get Google to prioritise the current
documentation (if anyone is specifically looking for older
documentation, then that should be easy to find once you get the
current docs, or they can include the version number in their query).
I know nearly nothing about SEO, but surely this must be the most
basic level?

Cheers,
Tony