Re: [exim] rfc question

Author: W B Hacker
To: exim users
Subject: Re: [exim] rfc question
Ian Eiloart wrote:

> --On 9 November 2009 18:36:22 +0300 Vasiliy G Tolstov <v.tolstov@???>
> wrote:
>
>> Hello. Can some one tell me - is the exists rfc rules for subscriptions?
>> What headers must exists in mailing list (List-Id mandatory or not,
>> Precedence and other...)
>
> I don't think that there are any *mandatory* headers for mailing lists.
>
> However, there's a registry of message headers, which lists all the list-*
> headers, at
> <http://www.iana.org/assignments/message-headers/perm-headers.html>. It
> points you to the relevant RFCs
>
> Also, check the auto* headers, and Importance.
>
> Precedence is discouraged by rfc2076, and isn't registered. I have to
> confess that this surprised me.

Meeting rules in re Subsscribe / Unsubscribe can be a challenge, as the RFC's
are not even the tip of the iceberg. There is government legislation and admin
law all over the lot - more often than not written by the compuer illiterate.

Exim - and/or a decent MLM working with it - can do what you ask.

Finding out *what to ask* across multiple jurisdictions is harder.

Mailing List Manager user mailing lists are perhaps a better place to look.

HTH,

Bill