[exim] Improving Exim Documentation: A Simple Suggestion

Author: Paul
To: exim-users
Subject: [exim] Improving Exim Documentation: A Simple Suggestion

Hallo Boys & Girls,

Just imagine changing your light bulbs for the lower energy consumption
type.

Yes, we know 21w watt new type is bright but supposing some old granny
wants to replace her 100w old type. What can we tell her to help her get
the right replacement ?

Its the same with the Exim 4.69 manual.

Wanting to customise the EXIM I plonked on my VPS, and easily installed
with Yum on Centos (makes a nice change to Windoze 'cos I never had to
reboot the server once) I Googled for information, help and advice.

Eventually I came across Exim manual chapter 39 and customisable error
messages "errmsg_file". When constant interruptions diminished slightly
and I returned to it a week later I searched the Exim web site for
"errmsg_file" and found nothing. Did another goggle on "errmsg_file" and
got

http://www.exim.org/exim-html-3.20/doc/html/spec_39.html

Searched the new documentation (4.69) and disappointingly found no
"errmsg_file". My suggestion is successive versions of manuals should
contain an appendix giving OLD parameters and their replacements. For
example:

    errmsg_file .... replaced by bounce_message_file, see chapter 46.1

The same principal applies to granny's light bulbs:-

    100w old type ..... replaced by 21w new type.

Regards,

Paul.
[Programming when there were no hard disks, screens or Micro$oft, just
an occasional drum, cards and papertape].