Re: [exim] mx and local host error

Author: d.hill
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] mx and local host error
Quoting Phil Pennock <exim-users@???>:

> What is the process by which /usr/local/etc/exim/relay_to_domains is
> updated? Is there a race condition where the file is replaced by an
> automatic process which unlinks one file and then links in the new
> content, so that if Exim is trying to read it at that time then the file
> does not exist? Do you have revision histories of the content of this
> file to be sure that spis.net has not temporarily disappeared (assuming
> automated processes maintain it)?
>
> The debugging question is "When is a domain with lowest MX pointing to
> me not listed in relay_to_domains with an acceptable IP?"

You hit the nail right on the head. I had 'freeze_tell = postmaster'
in the config so I would get report on messages that may get frozen.
Looking at those messages now, I do see it is happening when
relay_to_domains gets directly updated (every 15 minutes). I'll have
to change the method it gets created. Perhaps create a temp file and
raname it into place. Sometimes it does take 20-30 seconds to create.