Re: [exim] retry configuration

Author: Matthew Somerville
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] retry configuration
Hi,

I was directed to this thread by a friend, as we have been having what
sounds like the same issue with sending www.TheyWorkForYou.com alert
emails, that people have signed up for, to Yahoo! (and related) email
addresses, receiving pretty constant temporary deferrals. We currently
use, I believe, Debian defaults, so a queue runner of:
     /usr/sbin/exim4 -bd -q30m
and a retry rule of:
     * * F,2h,15m; G,16h,1h,1.5; F,4d,6h

I did get in touch with Yahoo! (as Graeme asked) and after some initial
confusion, they asked for more details, I supplied them, and the problem
appeared to go away with @yahoo email addresses, but remains with
Yahoo!-hosted BT addresses such as @btinternet.com and @btopenworld.com
(and further emails to Yahoo! have elicted no response).

Armed with the various pieces of information from this thread, I will
adjust our rules/config for @btinternet/Yahoo email and see how that
goes, thank you.

One question regarding Lena's reply on limiting Yahoo! messages to 5 per
connection:
> begin routers
> remote_domains_throttled:
> driver = dnslookup
> domains = \N^yahoo\.\N : rocketmail.com : ymail.com

I presume I would also put btinternet.com/ btopenworld.com here.

> transport = throttled_smtp
> begin transports
> throttled_smtp:
> driver = smtp
> connection_max_messages = 5
> serialize_hosts = *

I see Yahoo! state they accept a maximum of 5 messages per SMTP
connection here:
http://help.yahoo.com/l/au/yahoo7/mail/postmaster/postmaster-31.html
What difference does this rule actually make to Exim, if any?

ATB,
Matthew