Re: [exim] retry configuration

Author: W B Hacker
To: exim users
Subject: Re: [exim] retry configuration
Catalin Constantin wrote:
> I sent the configuration to the list. Please see previous emails.
>
> Configuration was sent, exim startup parameters were sent.
> We run exim with: /usr/sbin/exim -bd -q2m (from the Gentoo startup script).
>
> I think this is all the experts have asked for.

It was the missing link, yes.

You are working against yourself.

- the retry rules you *had* (10-minute interval), would only be 'looked
at' once every TWO minutes,

- the retry rules I offered (2 minute interval), are looked at every 55
*seconds* here. (AND NOT logged). No real resource load - our queue is
nearly always empty. Yahoo takes *our* mail.

- further, you potentially abort some smtp delivery sessions with
time-outs (keeping in mind that artifical delays are commonly introduced
to outwait ever-impatient zombots AND '30s' is a common delay..).

- then, too, if you are going to adjust queue_run_max you should also
tune remote_max_parallel.

Your Linux distro's defaults were not designed to support an aggressive
'spam-engine-like' bulk-mail pavement-breaker.

You have to tune for that.

Nice thing about Exim is that you *can do*.

But you will need to wake up, smell the coffee, and *RTFM* before
claiming Exim has a 'design flaw'.

Bill