Re: [exim] Exim drops core size

Author: Jörg Sommer
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Exim drops core size
Hallo Eli,

"Eli" <e.sand+exim-users@???> wrote:

>> Perhaps Exim should have a knob to let people re-enable core-dumps for
>> deliveries, on a per-transport basis. Patches welcome.
>
> Very few people know what to do with a core dump; even fewer even know
> what a core dump is.

Why they should enable core dumps, if they don't know what they are and
that they exist?

> Out of the few that know what a core dump is AND how to use it for
> debugging purposes, I hope that none of them are 1) running debug code
> on a production machine,

What has a core dump to do with debugging code? Every process' core can
be dumped to disk. You don't need to enable special debugging options
while building to get a core dump.

> I personally strip all my binaries (in fact, some distros may
> auto-strip on install I believe), plus I don't have debugging
> libraries, so I couldn't debug even if I wanted to.

So, you should get familiar with the features of your tools. gdb, for
example, has the possibility to use detached debugging symbols. The
binary is the same as the one you get after strip, but you get a second
file where gdb reads the debugging symbols from. And you don't even need
to place both on the same machine to inspect the core dump.

Bye, Jörg.
--
> Definiere ‚Demokratie‘ …

… eine Mehrheit beweist einer Minderheit, dass Widerstand zwecklos ist.