[exim] Could not complete sender verify on one box but not o…

Author: Andy Smith
To: exim-users
Subject: [exim] Could not complete sender verify on one box but not on the other
Hi,

I have two Exim SMTP servers that in theory are setup identically,
but on one server I am recieving errors when using it as a mail relay
for a webserver. I am getting the error:

temporarily rejected RCPT <a.smith@???>: Could not complete
sender verify

That is I believe based on the mail address to which the message is
meant to be delivered, its also a domain actually hosted on the two
SMTP mail servers in question.

When relay email to the second mail server I recieve no such errors
and the mails are delivered immediately as I would want/expect.

The exim config files are identical bar the server name, I did a diff
of these. And the relaying should be allowed based on a text list of
IP addresses which I also diffed and are also identical. The code in
the exim config for this is:

> snip

hostlist relay_hosts = /usr/local/etc/exim/hosts_relay.txt
> snip

     ## Accept if we've explicityl allowed the IP.
     accept
         hosts         = +relay_hosts

Buttt, I suppose if its complaining about not being able to verify the
destination email address this isn't the problem.

Can anyone help me troubleshoot this, Im a bit stumped as both systems
seem to have the same config. Hosts files look ok to me, not sure what
to do next....

thanks Andy Smith.